Saturday, December 10, 2011

Generation of Vipers - Howl and Filth (2011)

Tracklist
1. Ritual 07:52
2. Silent Shroud 06:32
3. All Of This Is Mine 02:55
4. Eternal 04:08
5. Slow Burn 07:58
6. The Misery Coil 09:09

Sludge/Post-metal/Heavy
Knoxville, TN
Red Witch Recordings/Self-release

This band has been around since 2004 and features members of U.S. Christmas and A Storm of Light. This album was recorded by Kurt Ballou (converge) at Godcity Studios. It sounds like Neurosis fighting Unsane. So why the fuck hasn't me or anyone else heard of this band?
My first thought was that maybe they just aren't that good. I hadn't heard them before so I couldn't judge until I checked it out. I can't speak for their earlier work, because I have still yet to listen to it, but after listening to the first song on "Howl and Filth" I knew this was something special. I feel bad for these guys because they definitely should have a larger following. They run the record label that they're on, which is great and all, but it probably doesn't help them too much in the promotion department. That's what I'm here for though, right?
"Howl and Filth" sounds like if Unsane were to play lower, or if Neurosis were to play more straight-forward. Basically making this album really heavy. This last song, "The Misery Coil," is one of the heaviest songs that 2011 has to offer. It's not the best album of the year but it will certainly go down as the most overlooked. Do yourself a favor and check it out. I put youtube videos on here so how hard can it be?


purchase($3 digital copy - do it) | download (but seriously just buy it for $3!)


No comments:

Post a Comment